Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Idil News
    • Home
    • Puntland
    • Somalia
    • News in English
    Subscribe
    Idil News
    Home»News in English»One-day tally of COVID cases in China hits 37 million: Report
    News in English

    One-day tally of COVID cases in China hits 37 million: Report

    Jibril Qoobey.By Jibril Qoobey.December 23, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Nearly 37 million people in China may have been infected with COVID-19 on a single day this week, the Bloomberg news agency has reported, citing minutes from an internal meeting of the country’s National Health Commission held on Wednesday.

    In all, the report which was published on Friday said about 18 percent of the country’s population – 248 million people – are likely to have contracted the virus in the first 20 days of December.

    China is witnessing a dramatic surge in coronavirus cases since it dropped its controversial zero-COVID policy following widespread protests in recent weeks. Under the zero-COVID policy, the country’s authorities were placing entire towns and cities under lockdown if they reported a few cases.

    Now with those restrictions mostly lifted, China has also stopped mass-testing policies and no longer reports asymptomatic cases.

    This has led to concerns of widespread infections among a population that has largely been unexposed to the actual virus, and that has lost much of the protection it might have gained from vaccine shots taken several months ago.

    The country’s health system has also been caught unprepared by the sudden U-turn in the government’s policy, with hospitals and pharmacies struggling to cope.

    On Thursday, health data firm Airfinity estimated that there are likely more than 5,000 daily deaths and upwards of a million daily infections from COVID-19 in the country.

    Airfinity said its mortality risk analysis suggested between 1.3 million to 2.1 million people could die in China’s current COVID-19 outbreak.

    However, on the same day, China officially reported less than 4,000 new symptomatic local COVID-19 cases nationwide and no deaths from the virus.

    The conflicting data has raised concerns in the international community and prompted United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken to request that China maintain “transparency” on the issue during a call with Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi on Friday.

    China’s overall vaccination rate is above 90 percent, but the rate for adults who have had booster shots drops to 57.9 percent and to 42.3 percent for people aged 80 and older, according to government data.

    The World Health Organization (WHO) has received no data from China on new COVID-19 hospitalisations since Beijing lifted restrictions. The WHO stated it was “very concerned” with the country’s COVID-19 strategy earlier this week and urged Beijing to step up its vaccination programme.

    The WHO has suggested that the lack of data might be due to Chinese authorities struggling to tally cases.

    The Chinese government has also narrowed the definition of what counts as a COVID-19 death making it difficult to compare with previous data.

    SOURCE: AL JAZEERA

    Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link

    Related Posts

    HSM Stripped of Executive Power as Term Expired on 15 May

    May 19, 2026

    Somalia is entering one of the most dangerous political and security periods since the collapse of the state in 1991.

    May 18, 2026

    Statement of the African Union Commission on Somalia.

    May 16, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Hay’ada wardoonka Puntland ee PISA oo horumar samaysay

    Puntland oo go’aamo kasoo saartay mudo xileedka dhamaaday Ee Xasan Shiikh

    Maraykanka oo maalgashanaya Macdanta Puntland

    HSM Stripped of Executive Power as Term Expired on 15 May

    Mw Israa’iil oo Waraaqaha aqoonsiga ka gudoomay Safiirka SL

    Xog:-Maxaa kasoo baxay kulankii BC iyo GMS?

    Faallo:-Xasan Shiikh oo waji gabax kala kulmay BC

    Wefti sare oo Maraykan ah oo kusoo wajahan PL

    Somalia is entering one of the most dangerous political and security periods since the collapse of the state in 1991.

    Statement of the African Union Commission on Somalia.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Puntland
    • Somalia
    • News in English
    © 2026 Idil News

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.